By EatingWell Test Kitchen (eatingwell.com)
Total time: 1 hr 10 mins
1 2 1/2- to 3-pound spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 bunch broccolini, chopped (or just regular fresh or frozen broccoli)
4 cloves garlic, minced (amount is optional depending on how much you like garlic)
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
2 tablespoons water
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 450 °F.
- Place squash cut-side down in a microwave-safe dish; add 2 tablespoons water. Microwave, uncovered, on High until the flesh is tender, about 10 minutes. (Alternatively, place squash halves cut-side down on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake in a 400 °F oven until the squash is tender, 40 to 50 minutes.)
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add broccolini, garlic and red pepper (if using); cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Add water and cook, stirring, until the broccolini is tender, 3 to 5 minutes more. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Use a fork to scrape the squash from the shells into the bowl. Place the shells in a broiler-safe baking pan or on a baking sheet. Stir 3/4 cup mozzarella, 2 tablespoons Parmesan, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper into the squash mixture. Divide it between the shells; top with the remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella and 2 tablespoons Parmesan.
- Bake on the lower rack for 10 minutes. Move to the upper rack, turn the broiler to high and broil, watching carefully, until the cheese starts to brown, about 2 minutes.
Original recipe can be found at http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/252696/spaghetti-squash-lasagna-with-broccolini/
By: Wendy Polisi
4 cups almond milk
1 cup mixed quinoa (equal parts of white, red, and black varieties)
10 oz fresh strawberries, sliced (16-20 strawberries)
2 tbsp pistachios, slivered
honey to sweeten (I use approximately 2 tbsp.)
1. In a small saucepan, warm the almond milk on low heat. After 2 minutes, add the quinoa and stir gently so the quinoa doesn’t clump together.
2. Cook on low heat for 15 minutes, or until the quinoa is cooked through.
3. Remove from heat, and divide among bowls or jars for an easy breakfast to-go!
4. Top with the strawberries and pistachios, and drizzle the honey on top.
Original recipe can be found at http://wendypolisi.com/5-ingredient-quinoa-breakfast-pots/
Total time: 1 hr 15 min
Servings: 8 (1 cup)
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 cups diced yellow onion (about 2 medium)
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3 (15.8-ounce) cans Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained (certified gluten-free if necessary)
4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
3 cups chopped cooked turkey
1/2 cup diced seeded plum tomato (about 1)
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
8 lime wedges (optional)
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 10 minutes or until tender and golden. Add chili powder, garlic, and cumin; sauté for 2 minutes. Add oregano and beans; cook for 30 seconds. Add broth; bring to a simmer. Cook 20 minutes.
- Place 2 cups of bean mixture in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Return pureed mixture to pan. Add turkey, and cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat. Add diced tomato, chopped cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper, stirring well. Garnish with lime wedges, if desired.
Original recipe can be found at https://1y2u3hx8yml32svgcf0087imj-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/cookbook-30-recipes-under-400-calories.pdf?utm_source=mfp&utm_medium=blog
By: Laura Schoenfeld, MPH, RD (ancestralizeme.com)
Total time: 1 hour
3 Tbsp butter or coconut oil
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
2 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (5-6 cups)
2 large Granny Smith apples, cored, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (2-3 cups)
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt butter or coconut oil in microwave (should take about 30 seconds or so).
- Place squash cubes in 13×9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish.
- Stir cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice into melted butter/coconut oil. Add to the cubed squash; toss to coat.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- In large bowl, mix cubed apples and maple syrup.
- Remove squash from the oven. Pour the apple mixture over the squash. Cover and bake for 20 minutes, or until squash is tender.
- Sprinkle chopped pecans into a dry (un-greased) skillet and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Allow pecans to brown slightly and become fragrant. Take off heat when fully toasted/browned.
- Remove squash and apple mixture from oven. Stir before serving and sprinkle with toasted pecans. Serve warm.
Original recipe can be found at http://www.ancestralizeme.com/recipe-butternut-squash-and-apple-bake/
By: Lindsay @pinchofyum
Total time: 15 mins
1 can coconut milk
2 tablespoons red curry paste
2 small heads broccoli (and/or other veggies of choice)
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
½ tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons cold water
optional: minced garlic or onion
- Saute broccoli (and onion/garlic if you’re using it) in a tablespoon of oil. After a few minutes, add the coconut milk and let simmer for 5-8 minutes. The broccoli should soften but still be tender-crisp.
- Add the curry paste to the pan and whisk it until it combines with the coconut milk. Add the chickpeas.
- Bring to a slight boil and add the cornstarch. Boil for about a minute, then reduce heat and let cool slightly. Sauce will thicken as the mixture cools.
Original recipe can be found at http://pinchofyum.com/5-ingredient-coconut-curry
By: EatingWell Test Kitchen (eatingwell.com)
Total time: 15 minutes
2 5-ounce cans chunk light tuna (see Tip), drained
1 medium shallot, minced (2 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley
1/8 teaspoon salt
Dash of hot sauce
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 tomatoes, sliced
1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
4 slices whole-wheat bread, toasted
- Preheat broiler.
- Combine tuna, shallot, mayonnaise, lemon juice, parsley, salt, hot sauce and pepper in a medium bowl. Spread 1/4 cup of the tuna mixture on each slice of toast; top with tomato slices and 2 tablespoons cheese. Place sandwiches on a baking sheet and broil until the cheese is bubbling and golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
Original recipe can be found at http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/248918/tuna-melt/
Use as a side dish or cook up some of your favorite rice and/or veggies to make a nutritious dinner bowl.
Chickpea Salad with Lemon, Parmesan, and Fresh Herbs
Total time: 10 minutes
1 15-to 15 1/2-ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed, drained
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 small garlic clove, pressed
1/3 cup (packed) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Coarse kosher salt
Combine rinsed and drained chickpeas, chopped fresh basil, chopped Italian parsley, fresh lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, and pressed garlic clove in medium bowl. Add grated Parmesan cheese and toss gently to blend all ingredients thoroughly. Season chickpea salad to taste with coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. DO AHEAD: Chickpea salad can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Serve salad chilled or at room temperature.
Original recipe can be found at http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/chickpea-salad-with-lemon-parmesan-and-fresh-herbs-364611.
Satisfy your cravings for a burger with this health alternative.
Black Bean Burgers
Time: 20 minutes
15 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
2 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp yellow mustard
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
⅓ cup instant oats
Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a cookie sheet or line with parchment paper and set aside. In a mixing bowl, mash black beans with a fork until mostly pureed but still some half beans and bean parts are left. Stir in condiments and spices until well combined. Then mix in oats. Divide into 4 equal portions and shape into thin patties. Bake for 7 minutes, carefully flip over and bake for another 7 minutes, or until crusty on the outside. Slap into a bun with extra condiments and eat!
Original recipe can be found at https://happyherbivore.com/2011/08/easy-black-bean-burger/.
This recipe is very easy to customize with your favorite pizza toppings. Don’t be afraid to pack on the veggies and enjoy!
Prep Time: 15 mins.
Cook Time: 20 mins.
Total Time: 35 mins.
1 cup (dry) quinoa
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
2 (14-ounce) jars pizza sauce
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Mozzarella cheese
2-3 cups of your favorite pizza toppings (I used pepperonis, diced green peppers, diced button mushrooms, and thinly-sliced red onions, but see other ideas below*)
optional toppings: grated Parmesan cheese, crushed red peppers
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Cook quinoa in the chicken or vegetable stock according to package instructions. (Or you can use this tutorial for how to cook quinoa.)
When the quinoa has finished cooking, fluff the quinoa with a fork. Then stir about 1/2 cup pizza sauce into the quinoa until evenly combined. Set aside.
Lightly spray 6 large (10-ounce) oven-safe ramekins with cooking spray. Place the ramekins on a large baking tray.
Spread about 2 Tablespoons of pizza sauce evenly over the bottom of each ramekin.
Layer each with about 1/4 cup of quinoa, and spread with a spoon to flatten.
Layer each evenly with pinch of shredded Mozzarella.
Layer each with a single layer of pizza toppings.
Repeat by layering each with another layer of sauce, quinoa, Mozzarella, pizza toppings, followed by a final layer of Mozzarella. The ramekins should be full but not overflowing.
Transfer the baking sheet full of ramekins to the oven, and bake for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the ingredients are heated through. At this point, you can either remove the pizza bowls from the oven. Or if you’d like to get the cheese extra golden on top, you can turn the oven to “broil”. Then — keeping a close eye on the cheese so that it does not burn — broil the pizza bowls until the cheese is golden on top.
Remove and sprinkle each pizza bowl with a pinch of Parmesan cheese and crushed red peppers, if desired. Serve immediately.
*Feel free to swap in your favorite pizza toppings here. As goes with traditional pizza, just be sure that they are chopped or cooked (if needed, such as for sausage, etc.) if needed before adding them to the pizza bowls.
Original Recipe can be found at http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/easy-quinoa-pizza-bowls/.
Use some of those spices from your spice rack and try out this healthy salad recipe. Don’t be afraid to make more than a meal because the leftovers of this salad are even better the next day for lunch.
Black Lentil and Cauliflower Salad
By: Danya Weiner (matkonation.com)
Ingredients for 8 servings
For the cauliflower:
2 medium sized cauliflowers, broken into florets
¾ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon ground cilantro
½ teaspoon caraway seeds
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons olive oil
For the lentils:
4 cups water
2 cups black lentils
For the salad:
½ cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped
1 small red onion, halved and finely sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the cauliflower: preheat oven to 180ºC/350ºF. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the cauliflower and then spread evenly onto the baking tray. Bake for 30 minutes, until the cauliflower is softened but still a bit crunchy.
- Prepare the lentils: In a large pot, bring the water to a boil, and then add the lentils. Cook for 20 minutes, until they are al-dente. Strain and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Prepare the salad: Place the cauliflower and lentils in a large bowl and mix until combined. Add the cilantro, and red onion and mix to combine. Add the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper, taste, and adjust seasoning accordingly.
- Top with crumbled feta cheese and serve.
Original recipe found at http://matkonation.com/en/lentil-cauliflower-picnic-salad/.