2017 has been one for the books! Our country inaugurated a new president, two major hurricanes swept through the South, the first solar eclipse in a 100 years, the riots in Charlottesville, and most importantly the royal engagement of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. In the health-related realm there were many notably scientific and policy advances that occurred this year. Here is my top 5 list of these occurrences.
- US Federal Court requires tobacco companies to put out corrective statements about harmful health effects of smoking as a consequence for misleading the public about this through advertisements
- First diagnosis of CTE in an alive patient (traumatic brain injury typically seen in football players)
- First baby born from a uterus transplant
- Development of a digital ingestion tracking system. This is a new technology with the ability to monitor drug adherence after the pill has been taken
- Decrease in daily consumption of sugary beverages consumed by Americans since 2014
There were many more significant health-related achievements over this year. What is your top 5 list?