By: Laura Schoenfeld, MPH, RD (ancestralizeme.com)
Total time: 1 hour
3 Tbsp butter or coconut oil
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
2 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (5-6 cups)
2 large Granny Smith apples, cored, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (2-3 cups)
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt butter or coconut oil in microwave (should take about 30 seconds or so).
- Place squash cubes in 13×9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish.
- Stir cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice into melted butter/coconut oil. Add to the cubed squash; toss to coat.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- In large bowl, mix cubed apples and maple syrup.
- Remove squash from the oven. Pour the apple mixture over the squash. Cover and bake for 20 minutes, or until squash is tender.
- Sprinkle chopped pecans into a dry (un-greased) skillet and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Allow pecans to brown slightly and become fragrant. Take off heat when fully toasted/browned.
- Remove squash and apple mixture from oven. Stir before serving and sprinkle with toasted pecans. Serve warm.
Original recipe can be found at http://www.ancestralizeme.com/recipe-butternut-squash-and-apple-bake/